Mummies of Urumchi

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Fri Mar 19 18:58:05 UTC 1999

>Georg at home.ivm.de writes:

>generally accepted on which kind of evidence, if I may humbly ask ?

-- I'll refer you to the JIES and the volume of monographs that Mair edited.

It's also common sense.  There population in question abruptly appears in the
(previously virtually uninhabited) Tarim basin in the 2nd millenium BCE.
There's no abrupt discontinuity in the record after that until the arrival of
the Uighurs in historic times, and we have records that the people there prior
to the Uighurs were Tocharian-speaking.

It's not in serious dispute.