ara/ndano

Fri Mar 19 23:34:39 UTC 1999

[snip]

Thanx for the info on Celtic

>5/ Basque _arhan_, _aran_ 'plum' is obviously from continental Celtic
>*agran(io)-, exactly as _andere, azkoin, bezu, izokin, gereta, mando_ etc.
>are from Gaul. _andera:, bessu, eso:ks, cle:ta:, mandu,_ .

	I'd like to hear Larry Trask's opinion on the other words.
	It's my understanding that <andere> "lady" may NOT be from Celtic
in that in Aquitanian, there seems to be a corresponding masculine form
--something like <andoss>, from something like *<and + hotz>. Is that
correct?
	If so, is and- from the same root as <handi->? Presumibly the other
morphemes mean "male, man" & "female, woman."
	Now, if this is so, could Celtic andera: be the reason that
<andere> survived and <andoss> [sp?] didn't?

[snip]