borrowing pronouns

maher, johnpeter jpmaher at neiu.edu
Sat Mar 20 01:18:49 UTC 1999

alternative: can't lay my hands on the source right now, but in the last wo
years I saw a piece about some do-gooder Venetian monk, whose name got
transmogrified to the name of a circus clown. A Chicago TV station WGN
[World's Greatest Newspaper] has long had a popular show, "Bozo's Circus".

1900ca. A popular US comic strip was "Buster Brown";.a Little Lord
Fauntleroy clone. A "BB collar" linen, starched, worn with a satin ribbon,
was standard choirboy regalia. My sisters 1930s would invert it, wear it as
a cap, when playing nurse...

jpm

[ moderator snip:  It is unnecessary to quote entire posts that have just gone
  out to the list. ]