`Sancho'

Max W Wheeler maxw at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Mon Mar 22 16:38:06 UTC 1999

> On Tue, 16 Mar 1999, Rick Mc Callister wrote:

> 	But Antso < Santso, while it definitely looks cognate to
> <sancho>, <santo>, looks a bit askew given that Basque does have
> /ch/ yet we don't see *Santxo /sancho/. So it didn't come from
> <sancho>. And Old Spanish had /ts/ but we don't see *Sanzo /santso >
> sanso or Santho/.

We do have the surname Sanz, however, /san<theta>/ < /sants/.

In the 9-10th centuries Sanctus, and Sanctius (f. Sanctia) seem to have
been reasonably common given names in Catalonia (Bolo's and Moran,
Repertori d'Antropo`nims Catalans, 1994). Spellings for the male name(s)
are

Sanc, Sanca, Sanccio, Sanci, Sancii, Sancio, Sancione, Sancius, Sanctio,
Sanctius, Sanco, Sancone, Sancto, Sanctus. Sanga, Sango, Santio,
Santioni, Santo, Santus, Sanxo, Sanzi, Sanzio, Sanzione, Sanzo, Sanzoni

This range of forms suggest to me that at least /santo/, /santso/,
/santSo/, /santson(e)/ were current in Romance as given names. That is
to say, there's nothing specially Basque about Sancho.

Max
Max W. Wheeler <maxw at cogs.susx.ac.uk>
University of Sussex, Falmer, Brighton BN1 9QH, UK
Tel: +44 (0)1273 678975; fax: +44 (0)1273 671320