Using Dictionaries (was Re: Greek question (night?))

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Mon Mar 22 04:06:05 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

X99Lynx at aol.com wrote:

>In Romance languages like modern French, it is said that "in all but a few
>cases, the oblique -- often the ablative -- form survived the loss of Latin
>inflectional morphology,...while the nominative did not..."   I don't think I
>need to remind you that the nominative is "often" the least marked form.  The
>markings you refers to includes those related to the ablative as a
>"grammatical case expressing relations of separation, source, cause or
>instrumentality,... not found in the nominative."

It was rather the accusative forms that survived.  You can't tell
the difference in the Western Romance singular (-am > -a, -a: >
-a; -um > -o, -o: > -o; -em > -e, -e > -e), but Romanian and
Sardo have -u (< acc. -um) not -o, and the plurals are clearly
accusatives [but nominatives in Eastern Romance -e, -i]: -as,
-os, -es.  The ablatives would've given -is, -is, -ivos.  A form
like Sp. quie'n "who?" < quem also betrays its accusative roots.

What did happen was that the ablative took over the genitive case
(Gen. > de: + Abl.), as it already had taken over locative (in +
Abl) and instrumental (cum + Abl) functions, while the dative
case was replaced by ad + Acc.  This left only the nominative,
accusative and ablative.  But given the phonetic merger (except
partially in Romanian and Sardo) of the Acc.sg. and Abl.sg.,
accusative and ablative merged into a general oblique case, used
whenever a noun was preceded by a preposition or the object of
the verb.  The nominative, as the subject case, became the marked
form, and was eventually discontinued in Western Romance.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam