Laryngeals

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Wed Mar 24 16:44:49 UTC 1999

"Peter &/or Graham" <petegray at btinternet.com> wrote:

>Re the note on laryngeals and -u, what about laryngeals and i (outside the
>Sanskrit reflex of syllabic laryngeals)?
>    1.  Sanskrit forms such as de- from da: (before y- in some forms)
>    2.  The number of laryngeal roots which appear with -i forms in some
>languages:  (s)terH(i), (s)perH(i), treH(i) and a number of others.

Also Skt. a:-stems (e.g. voc. in -e < *-ai < *-H2[i]).

>    (3.   Does the Hittite -i- in dai have an explanation within Hittite?)

Yes, it's the normal 3rd.p.sg ending -i of the hi-conjugation
(-(h)hi, -(t)ti, -i).

There is no -i- in the stem of da(:)i "he takes" (*deh3-):
da:hhi, da:tti, da:i, tumeni/da:weni, datteni, da:nzi (but there
is loss of the laryngeal).  But if you meant the other da(:)i,
"he puts" (*dheh1-), then there is an -i-: tehhi, daiti, da:i,
tiiaweni, taitteni/taisteni, tianzi.  Also in tiiami "I stand up"
if from *(s)teh2-.

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam