IE, Genetic Data, Languages of Anatolia

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sun Mar 28 08:12:12 UTC 1999

Dear Robert and IEists:

----- Original Message -----
From: Robert Orr <roborr at uottawa.ca>
Sent: Saturday, March 27, 1999 5:06 PM

> A question:

>> IE *{kuon} (likely *{kewon} before zero-grading started) = Modern Chinese
>> {chu"an} (Wade-Giles spelling), Ancient Chinese *{kywan} (1 syllable) =
>> "dog".  But when and where was the dog domesticated? Did this word travel
>> along with the animal from whoever first domesticated it, rather than being
>> a sign of language cognateness?

> Actually, there is evidnece to suggest that IE *kuon is probably from a
> zero-grade of *pekuon (*pkuon) > *kuon, and related to *peku - "herd(?)".
> While semantically-based criticisms of comparing *kuon ("dog" > "wolf".,
> "wolf > "dog" is almost a commonplace sematic development, although the
> extinction of the wolf over vast territories makes it a little less likely
> nowadays) will not do, a comparison between IE *pekuon and Nostratic, etc.
> forms would be a desideratum.

Two of the elements I work with frequently are IE *k{^}e/o(i)-, 'grey', and
*wa(:i)-, 'wolf/predator, wail'; I have not have the pleasure of reading the
references provided but in the absence of that knowledge, I would like to
propose an analysis of *k{^}won- as simply  consisting of these elements
plus individualizing -*n: 'the grey-wolf/predator-one', similarly patterned
to 'lion': *le:/o:-, 'spring, jump (?)'.

This analysis is supported by another related root: *1. k{^}e:u-, 'wag', a
characteristic supremely idiosyncratic to 'dogs'.

However, if someone would be kind enough to summarize the argument for
*pekwon-, I would be interested in learning its basic points.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES: and PROTO-RELIGION: "Veit ek, at ek
hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim meipi er mangi
veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)