Distance in change

Frank Rossi iglesias at axia.it
Sun Mar 28 16:54:18 UTC 1999

However, in the area around the city of Rome itself, unlike the country
districts of Lazio, the language has changed even more due to the outside
influence of Tuscan, itself a descendant of Latin, but with an Etruscan
substrate.

The pre-modern "romanesco" dialect, as spoken for example in the last
century,  was not a pure local dialect of Lazio, descended without
interruption from Latin, but was strongly influenced by Tuscan, cf.
Corsican.

Secondly, the present spoken language in the city of Rome is the Roman
version of the Italian language, itself based on the Florentine dialect of
Tuscan, and of course influenced by the "romanesco" substrate.

[ moderator snip ]