Distance in change

Mon Mar 29 23:35:58 UTC 1999

Frank:
	Can you elaborate?
	I've read several in several places that the fricativazation of
medial stops is said to be from Etruscan but in others that this phenomenon
only dates back to the 1500s or so.
	But given that Etruscan died out around the time of Caesar, it
could not have had too much of an effect on local Italian
	What I notice about Roman speech is
	/-L- > 0/ e.g. figlio > "fio"
	/-nd- > -nn-/ e.g. andiamo > "annamo"