andera 'woman' Celtic ?

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Tue Mar 30 23:53:09 UTC 1999

In a message dated 3/26/99 04:30:24 AM, xdelamarre at siol.net wrote:

<<I confess that the celticity of _*andera_ 'woman' (found in French
dialects) is extremely uncertain>>

I've been confused as to why none of the replies mention a possible Greek
connection.  I'm may be missing something very obvious again.  Please forgive
me ahead of time.

The old Celtic-Greek contact point in the south of France is well established.
"Aner, andr-" is man (versus female, as opposed to "anthropos" - man versus
beast.)  "Androo", to become a man or raise to be a man, in Classical Greek
was sometimes generalized to the feminine. "Andris" in later Greek I believe
came to be used as woman.  And in such terms as "anandria" (want of manhood,
eunuch, unmarried woman) the term was extended beyond the male.  Couldn't this
be the Greek word with a Romance feminine ending dropped on it?  What have I
missed?

Regards,
Steve Long