Using Dictionaries (was Re: Greek question (night?))

Frank Rossi iglesias at axia.it
Wed Mar 31 15:44:37 UTC 1999

In this discussion it should be kept in mind that Old Portuguese and Old
Galician, spoken in the NW corner of the Iberian peninsula,  were *the same
language*, from the time when the South of Portugal with Lisbon was still
under the Moors and the local people there spoke a Mozarabic dialect until
quite some time after the independence of Portugal.

So the question is did Portuguese /u/ preserve the older pronunciation or
did modern Galician /o/, (which is described as "very closed" by
phoneticians).

Frank Rossi
Bergamo, Italy
igleasis at axia.it