Plosive-liquid clusters in euskara borrowed from IE?

Roslyn M. Frank roz-frank at uiowa.edu
Wed May 12 00:42:50 UTC 1999

At 09:26 AM 5/2/99 GMT, Miguel Carrasquer Vital wrote:
[snip]

>The word does not appear in any of my Spanish dictionaries, or so
>I thought, until I happened to see it in my 1954 (6th) edition of
>the Espasa (Diccionario Enciclope'dico Abreviado):

>CHANDRO. adj. Ar. Perezoso, desalin~ado, holgaza'n.

>[Where Ar. stands for "Aragone's"]

>That's all.  I then did an Altavista search for "chandro", which
>yielded two or three Web pages containing Aragonese vocabularies,
>confirming what the Espasa says, but not adding any further
>information (e.g. about the etymology of the word).  FWIW:

>http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Valley/6243/diccionario.html
>http://www.geocities.com/EnchantedForest/Dell/5055/curiosi.html

If it is limited to Aragonese there is still a good chance that we may be
talking about an Euskeric etymology, although as you suggested, there is an
alternative path that would derive it from a proper name. The difficulty
that I see with the second possibility is that if it were the correct
explanation, one would have expected a wider distribution of the item,
e.g., in other dialects. What do you think about that line of argument?

>It's probably merely a coincidence that, apparently, Chandro is
>also a name to give to your GSD (German Shepherd Dog), as
>officially recognized by the Verein fuer Deutsche Schaeferhunde.

Huh?

Thanks, Miguel, for all the info. I'm leaving in a few days for Euskal
Herria. But when I return in August I promise to dig out all my old notes
on this "chandro" fellow.

Ondo ibili,
Roz