Taboo replacements

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu
Mon May 10 21:18:35 UTC 1999

> [ Moderator's note:
>   Greek _hippos_ is usually taken to be a development of *ek'wos.  This is
>   one of the animal names that extends across the family.
>   --rma ]

Lehmann (Theoretical bases) says that this is (probably?) borrowed because
of the -k'w- [surely initial k'w- exists.]. And if my memory serves me
right, Sihler says that this is the sole reliable example of -k'w-
developing into -pp- in Greek (other centum languages have the same reflex
for labiovelar kw and for k'w.] Any comments?

-Nath