Taboo replacements

Wed May 12 15:36:39 UTC 1999

That is true but "athletic supporters" are still called "jock straps" in
America

>>Yet we also see "resurrected taboo words" such as "jock," which formerly
>>meant "penis" and now means "athlete" [at least in America] and even
>>"jockette" for a female athlete

>-- if a word stays out of circulation long enough, it loses its 'ooomph' as a
>forbidden term and can be reused, if it hasn't been altogether forgotten.

[ Moderator's comment:
  I think the two writers are actually saying the same thing:  Were the word
  "jock" still in (common) use in the meaning "penis", it would not have been
  extended to the meaning "athlete" no matter what an athletic supporter was
  called.
  --rma ]