"syllabicity"

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu
Sun May 16 21:20:08 UTC 1999

Patrick C. Ryan <proto-language at email.msn.com> wrote:

> Also, I am curious if you can cite a non-arguable ablative in -as that
> becomes -e: in sandhi?

> Frankly, I find -as in sandhi becoming -e: simply incredible.

I don't know of >non-arguable< as that becomes e: in Sanskrit, but it did
occur in some MIA dialects. Pali sermons often begin with bhikkhave <
bhiks.avas, which can only be a generalization of a sandhi variant.

And in a different message:

> I know that this is a bit late in the game to be asking this question but
> where did we get this Sanskrit form [I think ganigam-/ganigm] in the
> first place?

The forms in RV are gani:ganti (6.75.3) and ganigmatam (10.41.1).  The n for
the m of the root makes me wonder if the i(:) is original. We find inserted
i in bharibhrati and (ni)ghanighnate from *bher and *ghen and I would be
very surprised if these two roots ever had an initial laryngeal.

-Nath