Intensive Reduplication

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Wed May 19 06:04:21 UTC 1999

Dear Peter and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: petegray <petegray at btinternet.com>
Sent: Sunday, May 16, 1999 2:38 PM

> Some of these insert an -i- between the two occurrences of the root, e.g.
> (sam)jari:harti "destroys repeatedly" (Note again the "j" showing an IE -e-
> vowel).  A second example is the form which provoked this discussion.  The
> presence or absence of this -i- (or -i:-) has no justification within Skt and
> appears random - until we recognise that it is present in roots with an
> initial laryngeal.

I understand how you would like to interpret the -i- of the reduplicated
form (as the residue of a laryngeal) but aside from this, is there any
evidence in the *un*reduplicated form of your postulated initial laryngeal?

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)