Plosive-liquid clusters in euskara borrowed from IE?

Fri May 21 23:01:03 UTC 1999

Is this word related to Spanish mojo/n, which in a dictionary means
"landmark or boundary stone" but in spoken Spanish means "pile of shit"

	btw: I've asked Latin Americans from all over about gandul, the
only meaning any of them know is "pigeon pea". The usage "lazy" is
definitely dialect or slang. The standard words for lazy include perezoso &
vago; other more common terms include sentado, flojo, boludo & huevo/n

	Huevo/n gave rise to huevear "to fart around, to scratch your
gonads, to bother people by not doing your work", which gave rise to one of
my favorite words, webear "to surf the web". Likewise, huevadas "nonsense,
bullshit, a pain in the gonads, etc." gave rise to webadas "bullshit on the
web"

[ moderator snip ]

>Finally, I might note that, while Basque <muga> means `limit, frontier'
>today, as its apparent cognates commonly do in neighboring languages, in
>our earliest Basque texts the word more usually means `boundary-stone'
>-- that is, a stone marker set up to mark a boundary.  This sense is
>usually rendered today by the compound <mugarri> `boundary-stone', with
><harri> `stone'.

>Larry Trask

[ moderator snip ]