sandhi of Skt. -as [was Re: "syllabicity"]

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sat May 22 16:51:15 UTC 1999

Dear Ralf-Stefan, Rich and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Ralf-Stefan Georg <Georg at home.ivm.de>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 1999 4:41 AM

R-S wrote:

> By this I don't doubt your analysis of dive-dive; only that it may be due
> to predictable Sandhi.  I'm unaware of how many examples for the process
> seen in /edhi/ exist, but /divedive/ may be another one, but then for an
> early sound-law, involving early univerbation of *divas + *dive not a
> productive rule still operative in historical times.

Pat writes:

Rather than the result of an ordinary sandhi process, I am inclined to
suspect that [*adhi{'}] to [edhi{'}] may be a rare example of Sanskrit
Umlaut.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)