"syllabicity"

Patrick C. Ryan proto-language at email.msn.com
Sat May 22 17:00:55 UTC 1999

Dear Jens and IEists:

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Jens Elmegaard Rasmussen <jer at cphling.dk>
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 1999 7:53 AM

>> [Pat replied:]

>> If anyone has disputed that the *-e makes a difference, it is not I.
>> My point was, that you could just as easily notate the form as -*tV
>> since there is no contrasting -**ta or **-to.

>Jens replied:

> You seem to have a short memory! As the squashed quotations from the
> _same_ mail of yours show, you _did_ derive *-t and *-te from the same
> underlying form, and it just is wrong to give that form the notation
> *-tV in the case where there is no vowel.

Pat responds:

Sorry I did not make myself clear. *t(V) and *tV.

Pat

PATRICK C. RYAN (501) 227-9947; FAX/DATA (501)312-9947 9115 W. 34th St.
Little Rock, AR 72204-4441 USA WEBPAGES:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803 and PROTO-RELIGION:
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/2803/proto-religion/indexR.html "Veit
ek, at ek hekk, vindga meipi, nftr allar nmu, geiri undapr . . . a ~eim
meipi er mangi veit hvers hann af rstum renn." (Havamal 138)