sandhi of Skt. -as

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Sun May 23 13:05:41 UTC 1999

Pat questioned the sandhi rule -as > e /_{d,dh}.   Like him, I know of no
examples, and cannot find it in any grammar (not that I have a really good
grammar available!).

I also note in the B'gita XI:53 "evamvidho dras.t.um" for --as d--, which
seems to contradict Rich's claim, and shows the usual sandhi -o for -as
before a voiced consonant.  Another example is at XI: 26 "bhismo dron.ah."
for bhismas dron.ah, another at XI 17: "sarvato di:ptimantam", and so on.

I hesitate to contradict Rich, but this evidence at least, doesn't seem to
support what he was taught.

Peter