Plosive-liquid clusters in euskara borrowed from IE?

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal mcv at wxs.nl
Mon May 24 10:44:30 UTC 1999

Rick Mc Callister <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu> wrote:

[re: muga]
>Is this word related to Spanish mojo/n, which in a dictionary means
>"landmark or boundary stone" but in spoken Spanish means "pile of shit"

Phonetically I don't see how there can be a connection, and
indeed "mojo'n" is said to be derived from Latin MUTULUS (by way
of MUTULONE).  Moliner does list the synonyms <buega>, <mogote>
the same basic meaning of "mound, elevation or stone marking a
boundary".  If there's a relation, we are dealing with a
phonologically very unstable substrate item *[bm][ou][tk]-.  Cf.
maybe Pokorny pp. 98-102 under *b(h)(e)u- "aufblasen, schwellen".

Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
mcv at wxs.nl
Amsterdam