gandul 'lazy'

Wed May 26 16:31:52 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

It's none of those. It's a small pea, about the size of a lentil. In fact,
it looks more like a round lentil than anything else

I suppose it's either grown in Andalusia or the Canary Islands

btw: ¿qué dicen los judi/os de eso de comer a las judi/as?

>Rick Mc Callister <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu> wrote:

>>As far as I know, gandules are eaten in most of Latin America and parts of
>>Spain. You can buy gandules in the US packed by Goya, a company from Spain.

>Found it.  The botanical name for pigeon pea is Cajanus cajan,
>and Moliner gives Cajanus indicus (close enough) = guandu' or
>quinchoncho.  Guandu' :: Arbusto leguminoso. Su fruto es una
>legumbre muy sabrosa que se come guisada.  Never heard of it.  In
>Spain (Catalonia), we eat jud'ias (mongetes) [beans], guisantes
>(pe'sols) [peas], garbanzos (cigrons) [chick peas], lentejas
>(llentilles) [lentils] and habas (faves) [broad beans].  There
>are also varieties of vetch (algarrobas/guixes) etc.

	Here you confused me. I thought vetch was alfalfa. For me,
algarroba is carob --which is what you use to make "fake chocolate"