Plosive-liquid clusters in euskara borrowed from IE?

Wed May 26 16:56:32 UTC 1999

>Rick Mc Callister <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu> wrote:

>[re: muga]

>>Is this word related to Spanish mojo/n, which in a dictionary means
>>"landmark or boundary stone" but in spoken Spanish means "pile of shit"

>Phonetically I don't see how there can be a connection, and
>indeed "mojo'n" is said to be derived from Latin MUTULUS (by way
>of MUTULONE).  Moliner does list the synonyms <buega>, <mogote>
>and <muga>.  But consider also <mota>,

	which means "reefer" in Mexican, SW US & Central American Spanish,
and supposedly once meant "prisoner, criminal, illegal" evidently because
the word meant supposedly "something marked, designated" --I say supposedly
because I've only heard this from Mexican-Americans