Respect goes both ways!

Stanley Friesen sarima at ix.netcom.com
Wed Nov 3 02:24:40 UTC 1999

At 09:34 AM 10/19/99 +0100, Larry Trask wrote:

>But the problem does not, I think, lie in the relation itself, which must be
>taken as transitive if it is to have any identifiable content -- at least in
>a non-fuzzy logic.

I guess I am not so adamant that sameness always be transitive.

It is generally rather messy to try to apply a transitive form of
similarity to biological entities, not just language.  For instance,
species delimitation can be difficult if one insists on transitivity (e.g.
the so-called ring species).  When does a fertilized egg become a new
individual?   So I just take it as *given* when talking about a biological
entity that the boundaries *are* fuzzy, as otherwise one must give up
almost all boundaries in biology.

And natural languages are clearly biological entities.  So fuzziness is the
only useful way to go.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com