Excluding Basque data

Roslyn M. Frank roz-frank at uiowa.edu
Sun Oct 3 04:03:34 UTC 1999

At 09:33 AM 9/30/99 +0100, Larry Trask wrote:
[snip]

>So tell me: how do my principal criteria of early attestation,
>widespread distribution, and absence from neighboring languages "have
>the effect" of biasing my results on phonological form?

Could you share with us once more precisely what these criteria are? I seem
to recall that earlier you listed them but I can't locate that email.

Could you also define more precisely what you mean by "widespread
distribution"? For example, what would an unacceptable distribution be?
Present in only the Gipuzkoan and Bizkaian dialects? Present in the
"northern" dialects of Iparralde (French Basque region) but not in any of
the other dialects? Or contrarily would you argue that the phonology of a
term used in all dialects always should takes precedence over one that is
limited to one dialectal variant only?

Izan untsa,
Roz

Roslyn M. Frank