Pre-Greek languages

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Sun Oct 3 14:11:49 UTC 1999

On Thu, 30 Sep 1999, Eduard Selleslagh wrote:

> True.  Paul Arnold thought Linear A was Proto-Basque, but he used a
> number of non-ancient words to translate the texts.

Ah, I don't know this work.  Is it possible to provide a reference to
it?

I've read F. G. Gordon's 1931 book Through Basque to Minoan, which is an
absolute scream.  Gordon seems unaware that Basque possesses such
ornamental features as morphology, syntax, and rules of word-formation,
and he is also unaware that not all modern Basque words existed
thousands of years ago, in the same form and with the same meaning.

Larry Trask
COGS
University of Sussex
Brighton BN1 9QH