Pre-Basque Phonology

Larry Trask larryt at cogs.susx.ac.uk
Thu Oct 7 08:41:24 UTC 1999

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Roslyn M. Frank wrote:

> Phonologically speaking in other circumstances I don't think that
> Euskera regularly looses the intervocalic /r/. That's my impression.

That's correct.  The intervocalic tapped /r/ is not normally lost in
lexical items, except in the Zuberoan dialect, where it is lost.
But it is often lost in inflections and in grammatical words.  For
example, the dative singular ending <-ari> is frequently heard in speech
as <-ai>, and the progressive marker <ari> is frequently pronounced as
<ai>.

> I also don't know what the relationship would be between the set of
> (unconscious) phonological rules used to produce such nicknames and
> the set used for the rest of the language.

I don't think anybody knows.  Some eager philology student at Gasteiz
might usefully look into this.

> Nor do I know if this is a topic that has been subjected to serious
> study.

I'm pretty sure it hasn't.

> Without having looked into the literature, I would suggest that what
> we may be looking at is the question of whether there are different
> sets of rules that are brought into play by speakers of a given
> language to produce items belonging to different parts of the
> lexicon, e.g., phonoestetic expressions (is that the right term?)
> versus "regular" words. Or stated differently, do speakers have
> access to two different (although perhaps largely overlapping)
> phonological repertoires that are then drawn into play by them
> depending on the circumstances?

Bingo, Roz!  This is *certainly* true of Basque.  Putting aside names,
Basque has a set of templates for creating expressive formations, and
the phonological rules governing these formations are quite different
from the rules governing ordinary lexical items.  This is a topic close
to my heart, and one day I hope to produce a serious piece of work on
it.

But names are clearly subject to different rules again.

> Has anyone done a cross-linguistic study of such forms? How similar
> are these patterns cross-linguistically and/or what conclusions can
> be drawn concerning the relationship holding between them and the
> standard phonotactic rules of the same language?

There have been a few studies, yes, though I can't immediately cite any