PIE vs. Proto-Language

Stanley Friesen sarima at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 7 15:24:16 UTC 1999

At 11:53 AM 10/3/99 +0000, Patrick C. Ryan wrote:
>[PR]
>I am convinced by the genetic evidence that modern humans are, at least,
>principally descended from a single ancient (pre-)human stock, whether out
>of Africa, which I think likeliest, or from another place.

>If you believe that a scenario of 'language' developing in separated human
>groups (hence unrelated except indirectly by the biological potential to
>develop it) is preferable,  then tell me, if the original stock (presuming
>you buy the genetic argument) was capable potentially of language, what
>prevented that potential from being realized?

The basic answer would be: they had not yet invented it.
Consider: the original modern humans were also potentially capable of doing
calculus, so one could ask why they didn't.  In this case the answer is
obvious.  But is language really any less complex than calculus?

Now, I, *personally* find this situation unlikely, but it is at least
coherent, and thus cannot be ruled out a priori.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com