Change and What Remains

Robert Orr colkitto at sprint.ca
Tue Oct 12 05:25:15 UTC 1999

I had a cousin by marriage who moved to  Canada as a young girl.

My father met her for the first time when she was a very old lady and said:
"I heard this lovely 1920's voice".

My mother had an aunt, from the "Inverness area" who spent her life in
Paris.

My father spent several years of his boyhood in Inverness.  Around 1950 my
father met htis aunt for the first time, and he said that she had the same
voice as much older people he remmembered in the Inverness area.

Does this constitute  "parent and daughter co-existing" at all?

[ moderator snip ]

>So, apart from the trivial case of me and my niece, how can a language
>co-exist with its own descendant?

I actually do know a couple of cases