Updates regarding UPenn tree

Tue Oct 12 17:50:58 UTC 1999

	I've only read about in general books but it seems regular. I
remember the example [something like] "Fair is the fite fulpie?" for "Where
is the white whelpie?"
	I don't know if it has anything to do with influence from Gaelic or
not, in that some dialects of Gaelic have a type of alternation of f/wh;
e.g. fuisce vs. uisge, last name Phelan vs. Whelan [< ? Ui Faolain sp?]
--where /hw/ may possibly be a local pronciation of <fh> and where /hw/ may
possibly have been perceived as a form of /f/
	But, on the other hand, I seem to remember that the dialect in
question was from NE Scotland, and more likely not in contact with Gaelic

>John McLaughlin wrote:

[ moderator snip ]

>What are the details of this /hw/ > /f/ change?  Is it due to mishearing as
>Crist suggests for PIE *penkwe > *PGmc *finf?  Is it a regular change or
>conditioned?

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women