GREEK PREHISTORY AND LANGUAGE

Wed Oct 13 16:37:19 UTC 1999

[snip]
>At this point in time, THERE IS NO MATERIAL EVIDENCE AT ALL AS TO WHEN
>GREEK-SPEAKERS APPEARED IN GREECE.  THE ONLY EVIDENCE OF A SIGNIFICANT
>MIGRATION DURING THIS PERIOD (3000BC-1650BC) IS FROM ANATOLIA.
[snip]

	But I imagine there is a postulated date for the breakup of
Indo-Iranian-Hellenic-Armenian.
	And I'd wonder about postulated dates for loanwords from languages
in the Balkans and the Aegean
	The arrival of the Greeks may not have disrupted the local culture
in any great way
	e.g. it could well have been an example of elite dominance
	or on the contrary a continuous arrival of technologically less
advanced people whose language was adopted by the elite

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women
Columbus MS 39701