SV: Change and What Remains

Lars Martin Fosse lmfosse at online.no
Thu Oct 14 08:41:33 UTC 1999

Robert Orr [SMTP:colkitto at sprint.ca] skrev 12. oktober 1999 06:25:

> I had a cousin by marriage who moved to  Canada as a young girl.

> My father met her for the first time when she was a very old lady and said:
> "I heard this lovely 1920's voice".

> My mother had an aunt, from the "Inverness area" who spent her life in
> Paris.

> My father spent several years of his boyhood in Inverness.  Around 1950 my
> father met htis aunt for the first time, and he said that she had the same
> voice as much older people he remmembered in the Inverness area.

> Does this constitute  "parent and daughter co-existing" at all?

For what it is worth, I can back up this experience with emigrant Norwegians. I
have met old emigrants to the US who still spoke their childhood dialect in a
manner that is not  used today. And there are still Norwegians using the dative
in their dialects who coexist with younger dialect speakers who have dropped
the dative. So two sligthly different versions of the same language or dialect
may apparently exist side by side.

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse
Haugerudvn. 76, Leil. 114,