Pre-Greek languages

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Fri Oct 15 19:43:41 UTC 1999

A mild rebuke to Sean Crist (along with an apology for misspelling his name
earlier!)

He says to Stanley Friesen:
> You must be new on this list; during August and September, the question of
> the phylogeny of the IE languages was hashed over in great detail.

Is this perhaps a little patronising, and a little premature?
I didn't post very much in that discussion myself, because I didn't think it
was worthwhile, but myy guess is that I am not alone in being both (a)
relatively silent about it and (b) totally convinced that the discussion has
not yet proved anything.

Stanley Friesen may be in good company in maintaining that the NW IE
languages separate early - this is the position taken by Lehmann among
others.

Peter