Pre-Greek languages (Horses and such)

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Fri Oct 22 06:57:45 UTC 1999

In a message dated 10/19/99 4:58:14 PM, sarima at ix.netcom.com wrote:

<<...cultures with written history predate the probable appearance of the
Hittites in Anatolian in Mesopotamia.  None of these written sources give
*any* indication of any likely pre-Anatolian people anywhere near
Mesopotamia.  (They do indicate an early appearance of proto-Iranian
peoples to the east of Mesopotamia)>>

The lack of references to "pre-Anatolian people" seems a pretty important
point. Do those early records identify any "peoples" as living in central,
northeastern or southwestern Anatolia?

<<The first is made unlikely by the lack of IE-related cultural artifacts in
the Caucusus...>>

Given the early dates postulated for an IE presence in the area, by e.g.
Gamkrelidze and Ivanov, what would we expect those IE-related artefacts to
be?

<<and the *total* lack of any pre-Armenian IE substratal
influences in any of the non-IE languages of the Caucasus.>>

Again these are very early dates. Do we have a sense of when those non-IE
languages first appeared in the area?  And would a migration - as opposed to
settlements - by way of the Caucasus leave such traces.

<<the closest relative of Greek seems to be Old Macedonian
[and] ....there were peripheral populations of Greeks to the northeast of
Greece proper, whence came the Dorians after the collapse of the Mykenean
civilization.>>

But does this give us a definite "directional" sense?  Couldn't both
Macedonian and Dorian be as well explained as the expansion of Greeks
northward?  One of the striking things about the Dorian account (which we
rely upon to explain events before say 700 BC) is that it is fairly
consistently described as "the return of the Dorians."