Wheeled Vehicles.

Stanley Friesen sarima at ix.netcom.com
Wed Oct 20 03:10:49 UTC 1999

At 11:10 PM 10/15/99 +00-06, Mark Odegard <Odegard at means.net> wrote:
>There are some practical requirements if you are to have sturdy,
>steppe-worthy wagons and carts. The first of them, of course, is a
>source of wood. While there were trees the river valleys of the
>steppe, the real source for lumber would have been the southern edge
>of the North European forest -- the forest which is essentially
>co-extensive in area as is the 'incessantly discussed' Corded Ware
>horizon.

However, there is also evidence of trade over relatively wide areas from
this time.  Artifacts from the Balkans appear in Yamnaya burials, for
instance. Indeed copper from a relatively few mines can be found over large
areas of southeast Europe and western Asia.  So it is quite possible the
PIE peoples *traded* for the wood they needed.

>they are to share a single material culture? Mallory, in the closing
>pages of his 89 book seems suspicious of the reputed IE-ness of the
>Corded Ware horizon.

Overall, however, I find the argument *for* an IE association with the
Corded Ware cultures to be stronger than the argument against.

May the peace of God be with you.         sarima at ix.netcom.com