Unicode in linguistics [was Re: Ancestor-descendant distance]

Sean Crist kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu
Thu Sep 2 17:27:48 UTC 1999

On Mon, 30 Aug 1999, R.C. Bakhuizen van den Brink [Rein] wrote:

> [ Moderator's comment:
>   This discussion, while interesting, has gone far beyond the bounds of the
>   list.  Please move to private e-mail or another forum.
>   --rma ]

To be honest, I think that's a bad idea; if there's going to be any kind
of coordinated effort to put Indo-European resources online, it would have
to be organized thru lists such as this one.  I'm sure we'd all agree that
having such resources would be good for IE scholarship.

Discussion of such a project will necessarily entail forays into the
technical details involved.  If we can't hash out standards for online IE
resources here, is there any other likely forum on the net where it could
be done?  i don't know of one.  To be sure, I could always start a
separate mailing list, but this seems like an unproductive duplication of
effort.

  \/ __ __    _\_     --Sean Crist  (kurisuto at unagi.cis.upenn.edu)
 ---  |  |    \ /     http://www.ling.upenn.edu/~kurisuto/
  _| ,| ,|   -----
  _| ,| ,|    [_]

[ Moderator's response:
  The discussion had drifted from "use of Unicode as a vehicle for representing
  IE data" to "this product of a software vendor does/doesn't support Unicode".
  I submit that the latter is irrelevant to the discussion *you* wish to have,
  which is actually one I am interested in myself, though in a negative sense.
  I welcome further discussion of the topic you propose above--with appropriate
  Subject: header(s) to alert those not interested that they can ignore these
  posts.
  --rma ]