Horthmen as 'mGall'

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Mon Sep 6 06:16:51 UTC 1999

In a message dated 9/3/99 1:00:24 AM, rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu wrote:

<<I've read many times that the Goidelic Celts were the descendants
of the members of the Halstatt culture while Brythonic Celts were
descendants of members of the La Tene culture.>>

There has been a strong reaction in the archaeological field against making
"Celtic" equivalent to "LaTene" at all.  You might look at A. Fitzpatrick,
'Celtic' Iron Age Europe and J. Collis, Celts and Politics in
Graves-Brown, Jones, and Gamble (eds) Cultural Identity in Archaeology,
(1996)  Halstatt fares far worse.

<<But given that Celtiberian is also Q-Celtic, I've wondered if
P-Celtic wasn't an innovation that started at the center and only made it
as far as the island of Great Britain.
    The 2 concepts are not necessarily mutually excludable, of course,
in that the Q-Celts could have moved away from the center during the
Halstatt phase while the /q/ > /p/ phonomenon began at the center during
the La Tene phase.>>

It's been mentioned that the /q/ versus /p/ split might in fact be the result
of varying exposure to confirmed strong foreign influences.  Either the
Greeks out of Massalia in southern Gaul or Latin or Etruscan further west.
Whether Goidelic is old or new is not clear.

<<Inquiring minds want to know more>>

That's the Atlantis version.

Regards,
Steve Long