Pre-Basque lexical items

Jon Patrick jonpat at staff.cs.usyd.edu.au
Tue Sep 14 06:10:06 UTC 1999

On  Fri, 3 Sep 1999 15:40:16 +0100 (BST)
LT said

    Now, my original stricture was against the hundreds of ancient verbs
    like <etorri> and <ikusi>, whose roots are never free forms.  For the
    eight or so anomalous verbs like <sartu>, I have no objection if you
    want to include their stems in your list, since these stems will meet
    all of my criteria.  Anyway, save only for the anomalous <kendu> (which
    has other and more regular variants), these stems will in no way be out
    of line with the forms of non-verbal lexical items generally.

I don't think I understand this part of your the message (the remainder was
very informative, thank you). I know I have seen <etor> and <ibil> used in the
imperative. Are you saying that they (and the other <-i> verbs should not be
used in their stem form in analysis of early basque?
It is certainly my intention to use the tu/du class of verbs using only their
stems.
cheers

Jon