Latin, Sanskrit, Arabic

Vidhyanath Rao vidynath at math.ohio-state.edu
Wed Sep 15 14:32:54 UTC 1999

<JoatSimeon at aol.com> wrote:

> As far as I know -- correct me if I'm wrong -- there was no large
> group in ancient South Asia who used Sanskrit as their household
> language after the divergence of the Prakrits.

But the Sanskrit people wrote in during 3rd c. was quite understandable to
the Prakrit speakers, while the change in syntax would have made it quite
confusing to 4ht c. BCE Sanskrit spkears. Is the Sanskrit of dramas a
register of MIA (due to the nearness of syntax) or a dialect of Panini's
language (with which it shared phonology, and, varying with author's
milieu, morphology)?