Can Parent and Daughter co-exist?

X99Lynx at aol.com X99Lynx at aol.com
Sat Sep 18 07:00:56 UTC 1999

In a message dated 9/17/1999 3:23:25 AM, JoatSimeon at aol.com writes:

<<-- At no point were Classical Latin and, say, Tuscan (substitute Romance
language of choice) spoken at the same time. >>

I just want to know one thing.  How the heck do you know that?  When was
Tuscan first spoken?  What is the basis of your dating?  Where do you find
this?  How do you know that a recognizable Tuscan wasn't being spoken in
Tuscany at the same time Classical Latin was being spoken in Rome?

<<and Classical isn't the same language as Mycenaean.>>

I'm pretty sure I remember this right.  The lastword was that Mycenean was
considered almost indistinguishable from Classical period Aeolian.

S. Long

[ Moderator's comment:
  Mycenaean is an example of South Greek, like Arcado-Cypriot and Attic-Ionic,
  and is in fact closely related to the former, while Aeolian is, like Doric, a
  North Greek family of dialects.  Further, Mycenaean still had labiovelars
  rather than labials as in Aeolic, so was most certainly distinguishable on
  those grounds if nothing else.
  --rma ]