Can Parent and Daughter co-exist?

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Tue Sep 21 18:49:40 UTC 1999

Steven said:
>....  This suggests that Latin was pronounced very
> differently from one region to another before.

There is a story about Dr Jonson, that although he spoke French adequately,
he insisted on speaking in Latin to visiting dignitaries from that country -
with the unfortunate effect that neither party could understand the other,
since the two pronunciations of Latin were so far removed.

I cannot vouch for the truth of the story, unfortunately, but the
circumstances make sense.   There is substantial evidence for difference
pronunciations of Latin between the Continent and England.

Peter