Was: Can Parent and Daughter co-exist? Now: Greek/Pelasgian

Wed Sep 22 20:14:53 UTC 1999

	Briquel's Les pelasges en Italie [or some similar title]
includes claims that the "Pelasgians" in Italy
which are sometimes equated with the Etruscans
had their origins principally in Thessaly, Beotia, Lesbos, Arcadia
which made me wonder if his sources had confused Pelasgians
with pre-Doric Greeks

	I can see the possibility that the Romans and other Italic peoples
may have conflated the origins of the Etruscans with those of Greek
colonists
	But it's my understanding that the Pelasgians were pre-Greek,
possibly Anatolian [or other IE] speakers

Anyone out there want to try to explain what I may have missed?

[snip]

>2. CB- <<The term "Aeolian" if we consider it widely includes three northern
>Greek dialects (Thessalian, Beotian and Lesbian) and two southern ones
>(Arcadian in Peloponnese and Cypriot), though the last are sometimes referred
>to as the separate Arcado-Cypriot language.... In later Aeolian,...
>labiovelar consonants turned into labials before e, i.>>

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634
Mississippi University for Women