Updates regarding UPenn tree

Wed Sep 22 20:34:09 UTC 1999

[ moderator re-formatted ]

I'd like to know more about the Italo-Celtic p/kw split

Most linguists I've talked to seem to dismiss it as a parallel development by
taking into account the loss of initial /p-/ in Celtic, I guess but could it
have developed analogous to r-final vs. non r-final varieties of American and
British English?

or could a tendency to confuse these have started before the putative split?

[snip]

>Later, the team added _two_ new characters which forced the Italo-Celtic
>sub-branch (not just one character as I previously incorrectly reported).
>One was the *p..kw > *kw..kw character (a sound change shared by Italic
>and Celtic),

[snip]

Rick Mc Callister
W-1634