Pre-Greek languages

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Sat Sep 25 12:05:36 UTC 1999

  Rick Mc Callister <rmccalli at sunmuw1.MUW.Edu> wrote (Subject: Was: Can
Parent and Daughter co-exist? Now: Greek/Pelasgian):-

> Briquel's Les pelasges en Italie [or some similar title] includes
> claims that the "Pelasgians" in Italy which are sometimes equated
> with the Etruscans had their origins principally in Thessaly,
> Beotia, Lesbos, Arcadia which made me wonder if his sources had confused
> Pelasgians with pre-Doric Greeks ...

How much is now known of each of the various pre-Greek languages of Greece and
Anatolia? How much headway has been made in identifying the Linear A language
or Eteocypriot or Lesbian?

I once heard mentioned an Ancietnt Egyptian papyrus headed "How to make names
of Keftiu [= Crete, probably]". I asked about that and was told that it was a
list of names for the land of Keftiu, not a glossary of words in the
Keftiu-ese language.