Pre-Greek languages

JoatSimeon at aol.com JoatSimeon at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 07:19:56 UTC 1999

>sarant at village.uunet.lu writes:

>But if we assume Linear B is Greek (and I believe this is considered
>proven), it becomes rather self-evident that Linear A is also Greek. As I
>say, this is unscientific, and a mere gut feeling. >>

-- I'm afraid not.  Linear B is a terrible script in which to write Greek.
Clumsy, ambiguous, and so limited that it would be practically impossible to
use it for anything but short sentences and lists.

The general consensus that the language written in Linear A script is not
Greek is based, not least, on the fact that the related Linear B is so
hopelessly inefficient as a medium for Greek, or any language much like Greek.

What can one say about a script in which the closest you can get to
"anthropos" is a-to-ro-po-se?  Cuneiform would be better.