Pre-Greek languages

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 27 20:00:21 UTC 1999

> Tsikritsis, who claimed he has deciphered Linear
> A as being Greek.

Please keep us posted - I would be fascinated to hear more.

>an
> algorithm that identifies a text as false (English word fails me,
> pseudepigraphon in Greek)

The English for pseudepigraphon is pseudepigraphon.

>...that some of
> the symbols of Linear B have the same value in Linear A,
> while some others have changed.  ...
>But if we assume Linear B is Greek (and I believe this is considered
> proven), it becomes rather self-evident that Linear A is also
> Greek.

I'm afraid it is rather less than self-evident.   The Greek-ness of Linear A
was explored by Chadwick (who taught me at Cambridge) amongst others.   It
is a common assumption in the attempt to decipher Linear A that the values
of symbols in Linear B must relate to the  values of the same or similar
symbols in Linear A, but there are enormous problems, not least the
existence of more than one symbol for apparently similar syllables in Linear
B.  Like you, I hope it turns out to be Greek, but unlike you, I can't see
it as self-evident.

Peter