Updates regarding UPenn tree

Dr. John E. McLaughlin mclasutt at brigham.net
Thu Sep 30 20:07:05 UTC 1999

Are there any actual examples of *hw >*f in PGmc post-Grimm (other Dr
Crist's guess at *penkwe > *finhw- > *finf)?  It would seem that the
alveolar /n/ might preclude any assimilation of /hw/ to /f/.  Just thinking
off the top of my head.

John E. McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
mclasutt at brigham.net

Program Director
Utah State University On-Line Linguistics
http://english.usu.edu/lingnet

English Department
3200 Old Main Hill
Utah State University