PIE e/o Ablaut

petegray petegray at btinternet.com
Thu Apr 6 19:29:15 UTC 2000

>> Hyeug - to yoke.

> I am not sure why you reconstruct an initial laryngeal.

I have been hunting through my notes, and I'm not sure now either!
I picked it up from somewhere, without keeping a record of who suggested it.
I only have a note that Sanskrit occasionally has a long augment before this
root a:yunak, and a reference to the Greek development in /dzugon/, which
one or two people have suggested shows an initial Hy cluster  (#Hy > /dz/,
#y > /h/).   And my Sanskrit books show no sign of a long augment!

Peter