"lumpers"

Dr. John E. McLaughlin mclasutt at brigham.net
Thu Apr 6 19:29:39 UTC 2000

> With all due respect - one ought not to criticize some one's ability
> especially when you don't use the conjunction 'nor' correctly. 'Neither'
> would have been better. Eg: sound correspondences nor [sic] in lexico... .
> 'Nor' replaces 'and not'.

This type of comment is not appropriate to our discussions.  Many of our
colleagues here are non-native speakers of English and the prescriptive
injunction which is being declared as a mark of intelligence here is not
even a part of most native speaker's grammars.

[ Moderator's note:
  Prof. McLaughlin is entirely correct, and I apologize to the entire reader-
  ship, and more especially to Mr. Holm, for allowing this to go out.
  --rma ]

John E. McLaughlin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
mclasutt at brigham.net

Program Director
Utah State University On-Line Linguistics
http://english.usu.edu/lingnet

English Department
3200 Old Main Hill
Utah State University