Typology and the phonetics of laryngeals

Anthony Appleyard mclssaa2 at fs2.mt.umist.ac.uk
Tue Apr 11 15:56:17 UTC 2000

I am tempted to believe that H3 was the Arabic ayin sound, and H2 was its
voiceless equivalent sometimes written as "h" with a dot under and sometimes
as "2", i.e. epiglottal fricatives. This is from (1) the a-flavoring tendency
of H2 and the o-flavoring tendency of H3, which matches the tendency of the
epiglottals (at least in my mouth) when I tried learning Arabic, and (2) IE /
Semitic equations such as Greek odussomai = "I hate" < IE H3-d-w, compare
Arabic {3adu:w} = "enemy" (3 = ayin), Greek awe:mi = "I, being a wind, blow" <
IE H2-w-H1, c.f. Arabic {2awa:!} = "air" (! = glottal stop). Some have
postulated two H1 laryngeals :: well, if so, one was the glottal stop and the
other was the ordinary "h" sound. When was the word "laryngeal" first given to
these sounds? The name seems to show an idea by someone that these sounds
were pronounced in that sort of area of the mouth and throat.